Tuesday 27 September 2011

Battlefield From a Box™


Looks like I've invented something new again! This time out of a desperation to get my hands on some 15mm desert terrain. Galeforce 9 produce some excellent terrain that comes pre-painted and is ready to use straight out of the box! Swish! Sadly however they appear to have discontinued their desert buildings  which I'm sure they used to create...boo.

There are other sellers out there who make some cracking alternatives but alas they too cost money but this time with the drawback of being unpainted. Within itself this isn't terrible (when you sign up to this kind of hobby you should expect there to be a reasonable amount of painting effort involved) but didn't sit right with me. I would have perhaps been prepared to part with cash for ease of having good looking terrain straight out the box but if I still had to paint something it made me wonder if the investment was worth it in the first place.

And thus came the idea of if you can't have it straight out the box...you might as well make it FROM a box.

 










The results aren't world beating but then I never set out to mastercraft these pieces. The emphasis was keeping them cheap and cheerful without having to spend an age on them. Considering as they are all made from cardboard covered in filler (with the exception of the mosque which also has a pasta sauce pot!) the succeeded in being cheap. The longest time was spent waiting for the filler and poster paint to dry so in terms of actual work they probably took about two hours to cobble together. Not bad considering as purchasing such buildings would cost about £40-50 and still require a paint job!

Now all that is left is to use them in a game. By now I feel like I and my opponent have grasped the fundamentals of the Flames of War rules and I look forward to our next engagement! Thus far things haven't been going well for my lads but it is often said the British start wars by losing battles but invariably end them with victories!

2 comments:

  1. Wow they're bostin for two hours effort! Now we'll spend that time again figuring out the building rules ^_^

    ReplyDelete
  2. They do indeed look pretty awesome, nice one!

    ReplyDelete